Taking care of the pressure cooker would definitely add to its durability. As compared to a regular stock pot, a pressure cooker requires more care. However; proper care and cleaning of pressure cooker is not a complicated task and would add to its longevity.
Cleaning the Pressure Cooker:
Here are some tips for Care and cleaning your pressure cooker:
- Remove the ring or rubber gasket and hand wash it separately. Never remove the gasket while the lid is still hot. This might result in the gasket being stretched and the next time it would not fit properly.
- Always avoid immersing the cooker’s lid in water since it could cause clogging and could also damage the safety valves.
- Check the vent area and valves and scrub them to remove residual food. Occasionally, take out the valve and vents for cleaning and ensure that everything has been tightly screwed in when replaced. Do refer to the instruction manual while doing this.
- For washing the cooker’s pot, use a mild dish-washing soap and always hand wash it. If food remnants have been stuck to the bottom of the pressure cooker, try soaking it in hot water and dish soap overnight. Use a brush or non abrasive pad for scrubbing the bottom. White stains are indicative of starch deposits or calcium deposits from hard water. To remove them, add a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar and water and scrub with a brush or non abrasive pad.
Caring for the Pressure Cooker:
Here are some tips for taking care of your pressure cooker:
- Always avoid storing the pressure cooker while it’s locked with the gasket in the lid. This could result in damaging the gasket. Moreover, in case of moisture, it could create a seal which would be difficult for opening.
- In order to enhance the shelf life of the gasket, wash and dry it and place within refrigerated conditions, when not in use.
- If you experience difficulty while closing your pressure cooker, chances are that the gasket might be drying out. To revitalize and moisturize it, rub it with cooking oil. Take special care of the lid’s rim and ensure that residual food has been scrubbed out.
- For conveniently storing the pressure cooker, keep the lid upside down on top of the cooker’s pot. Planning to get a new pressure cooker, is it must to visit choose pressure cooker.
- Almost all sorts of food items could be cooked using the pressure cooker however; care should be taken in terms of the type of food and its cooking time, amount of water that should be used, release time, and the number of whistles. For instance, vegetables such as cauliflower, peas, and French beans do not require any keeping time and they cook quicker than root vegetables.
- Follow the manufacturer’s directions regarding the minimum amount of cooking liquid that must be added while cooking in the pressure cooker.
- Depending on what you are cooking, avoid filling your pressure cooker with more than half to two-thirds of it with food.